Industry Reports 15.4% Revenue Growth Overall; Surpasses $3 Billion for Fourth Quarter MILPITAS, Calif. — April 13, 2021 — Electronic System Design (ESD) industry revenue increased by over $1 billion in 2020, marking a new milestone for the industry, the ESD Alliance, a SEMI Technology Community, announced today in the Q4 2020 Electronic Design Market Data report. Revenue increased 15.4% in Q4 2020 to $3,031.5 million, compared to $2,626.3 million in Q4 2019, representing only the fourth time since 2011 that year-over-year growth exceeded 15%. The four-quarter moving average, which compares the most recent four quarters to the prior four quarters, rose by 11.6%, the highest annual growth since 2011 and the second highest in the last 14 years.
“The industry reported a substantial double-digit year-over-year revenue increase for Q4 2020,” said Walden C. Rhines, Executive Sponsor, SEMI Electronic Design Market Data report. “Overall industry revenue surpassed $3 billion for Q4, with increases in all geographic regions. The Computer Aided Engineering (CAE), IC Physical Design and Verification, Semiconductor IP (SIP), and Services categories also reported fourth-quarter growth.” The companies tracked in the EDMD report employed 48,478 people in Q4 2020, a 6.7% increase over the Q4 2019 headcount of 45,416 and up 3% compared to Q3 2020.
The quarterly EDMD report containing detailed revenue information with the following category and geographic breakdowns. Revenue by Product and Application Category in Q4 2020
- CAE revenue increased 9.4% to $956.9 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter CA moving average also increased 9.4%.
- IC Physical Design and Verification revenue increased 36.6% to $637.1 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for the category rose 12.3%.
- Printed Circuit Board and Multi-Chip Module (PCB and MCM) revenue decreased 0.8% to $292.9 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for PCB and MCM increased 4.3%.
- SIP revenue increased 16.9% to $1,052.9 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter SIP moving average grew 17.1%.
Services revenue increased 2.2% to $91.6 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter Services moving average decreased 2.4%.
Revenue by Region in Q4 2020
- The Americas, the largest reporting region by revenue, purchased $1,304 million of Electronic System Design products and services in Q4 2020, a 15.8% increase compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for the Americas increased 9.9%.
- Europe, the Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) revenue increased 2.7%, to $457.2 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for EMEA grew 6.3%.
- Japan revenue increased 8% to $228.2 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for Japan rose 8.2%.
- Asia Pacific (APAC) revenue increased 23.4% to $1,042 million compared to Q4 2019. The four-quarter moving average for APAC increased 17.1%.
About the EDMD Report
The ESD Alliance Electronic Design Market Data (formerly the Market Statistics Service) reports EDA, IP and services industry revenue data quarterly and is available from SEMI. Both public and private companies contribute data to the report. Each quarterly report is published approximately three months after quarter close. EDMD report data is segmented as follows:
- Revenue by product category (CAE, IC Physical Design and Verification, Semiconductor IP, PCB/MCM Layout, and Services) including numerous detailed sub-categories
- Revenue by geographic region (the Americas, Europe Middle East and Africa, Japan, and Asia
- Total employment at participating companies For information about SEMI market research reports, visit the SEMI Market Research Reports and Databases Catalog.
For more information visit http://esd-alliance.org.